Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Teaching Finances to a 9 year old?

Jared and I are Bear scout leaders, and today we are working on requirement #13 which is “Saving well, spending well.” We already did the fun part of this requirement last week which was to play a game with pretend money. We made it a little more interesting by offering treats they could buy with the money they earned in the game.

We have a field trip planned to the grocery store to compare prices on food the last week of the month, but this week is the dull leg work. We are going to pretend to shop for a car for their families, and figure out how much money it costs to prepare a meal for each scout. How long do you think that we can keep the interest of 6 nine year olds on finances and budget? I am going to have to work very hard to make this interesting!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Robby wanted some Candy from the store really bad. He was begging for it. So I said "I can get it for you, but you have to pay me back when we get home." He decided he didn't want it any more.

kk Leilani said...

ummm good luck.